The first update… and it’s a big one. Ms G. is now my Mrs! ^^ We got married on 14th (civil wedding) and 18th July (church wedding). More pictures and details still to come. In the meantime, you’ll have to settle for one of our photo booth “aaaaw” piccies to celebrate #8 — Get Married:
We left on our Bali honeymoon on 21st July. After being stuck on Dubai airport for 9 hours — courtesy of the Raung volcano –, we made it in the end and had a truly memorable stay. Again, separate update on its way!
So, much obliged, Bali, for allowing me to tick off the following items from my list:
#16 — Go snorkelling
Long live Gili Air! Long live sea turtles! Boo back/leg sunburns!
#18 — Leave Europe
#19 — Have Balinese chicken wings… in (on?) Bali!
Twice, even! And they tasted nothing like the ones I make, haha. 😀
#22 — Have a cocktail on a white sandy beach
Long live Gili Air’s happy hour!
Moreover, since getting started on my 40 before 40, I’ve tried 5 (i.e. 1/8 of #40) new (memorable) things worth mentioning:
- 21st March 2015: tried my hand at quail eggs for the first time. Pure HORROR. The damn things kept falling apart while I was trying to peel them (the recipe called for hard-boiled ones).
- 18th April 2015: took a dance class. The first of about eight or nine in total (for our opening dance). It actually went FAR better than I expected. Still not a fan of dancing, but we impressed everyone and made a few people cry (in a good way :p). That’s saying something, isn’t it?
- May 2015/July 2015: Learn how to play a Philip Glass piece (x2!). I got started on “An Unwelcome Friend” a few years ago (after Moonlight Sonata and my triumphant return to the piano keys after a 14-year hiatus) but soon gave up. After successfully learning “Truman Sleeps” (which, granted, is not that tricky), I decided to have another go. Getting my own piano (yay!) helped a lot, hehe. Et voilà! Without a doubt, I’ll be playing my way through The Hours in the months/years to come.
- 2nd August 2015: ordered room service. This may come as a surprise, but it was, I kid you not, the first time ever, both for me and my wife. We’d promised ourselves some room service on our honeymoon and after spending the afternoon at the Mengwi temple, the Alas Kedaton monkey forest and Tanah Lot, we didn’t feel like going out anymore. The perfect time for some room service… Spring rolls, an Indonesian Caesar salad, chilli prawn Singapore, cumi cumi bumbu asam manis and a Sri Phala sundae!
- 4th August 2015: had a fish pedicure (My wife really wanted to give it a try during our time in Sanur, so I joined in.) Weird. Fun but weird. (My wife giggled through the whole 20-minute experience.)
And finally, I also started on my 365 photo challenge (#34) on 20th July! I’ll start uploading right now!
So there we are: five down, thirty-five to go, and two in progress! Not too shabby, eh?