– 1 fennel bulb – finely diced
– 2 courgettes – sliced
– 4 red chillies (2 deseeded, 2 “original”) – sliced
– 4 garlic cloves – sliced
– 2 tins of tomatoes
– 200 ml of stock (I used basil, but any vegetable stock will do)
– 50g (pitted) black olives – chopped
– 1 (200g) tub of hummus of your choice (you won’t need the entire tub, but you can never have enough hummus, right?)
– 8 cherry tomatoes – halved
– 5 cannelloni tubes
– grated pecorino cheese, to taste (optional but highly recommended)
– 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Heat the olive oil in a pan and sauté the fennel, chillies and garlic over medium heat for +/- 8 minutes.
2. Add the stock and tinned tomatoes, bring to the boil and let simmer for 10 more minutes.
3. Take off the heat and mix with a hand mixer – et voilà, your sauce is ready!
THE COURGETTE BASE
4. Place the courgette slices on a hot grill and grill each side until slightly charred (you’ll have to do these in batches), then set aside.
5. Line a high oven dish with courgette slices, making sure to have a bit of overlap so the dish’s bottom is completely covered. Next, cover with a layer of the fennel/chilli sauce. If using, sprinkle with some grated pecorino.
6. Put in the second layer of courgette slices. If you have some slices left over, just stack them on the sides (or keep them as a snack).
[Preheat the oven to 190°C]
7. Fill the cannelloni tubes: add some of the chopped olives first, then pipe in (freezer bags are very useful) some of the hummus and top up with olives again. The tubes are slightly translucent, so don’t worry about making a mess. Repeat.
8. Place the cannelloni tubes on top of the second courgette layer and add the remaining fennel/chilli sauce. Shake the oven dish (gently) in order for the sauce to coat everything evenly.
9. Line the dish’s borders with the halved cherry tomatoes (I used my humongous greenhouse tomatoes).
10. If using, finish with a generous sprinkling of grated pecorino (if the occasional lump tears off while grating, leave it in for a salty treat!)
11. Place in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, then under the grill for another 5.